Re: Torrc configurator

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:47:12AM -0500, Arrakistor wrote:
> tor_user,
>
> I think questions 1 & 2 & 11 would be confusing to someone who
> needs to use the configurator. To them I think they would
> want to be a client or server so perhaps change question
> 1 & 2 & 11 to combine them:

This is a fairly good idea, though I wouldn't use these names.

> a) client (donate bandwidth, use tor)

ok.

> b) man in the middle (donate bandwidth, don't use tor)

Please, please, no.

"Man in the middle" is an attack where you impersonate server A to
server B, and server B to server A.

"Middleman" is a possible tor configuration that relays traffic.

These are technical terms with specific meanings; please don't make
users think that they are about to launch a hostile impersonation
attack when they're just going to run a server!

> c) server (donate bandwidth & IP address, use tor by default)

How about "client" "middleman server" and "exit server"?  These are
the terms that Tor uses, after all.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson