Re: Possible attack questions

In fact, some authorities do view the traffic. For example, China is viewing the traffic coming in and out of the border, and blocking the connections when "sensitive" content occurs. So far as I know, as there are so many people viewing the "sensitive" contents through kinds of proxies like Tor, and the authority is too "busy" to stop all the links and arrest the viewer only if it's not that important. I think you can read the paper of "Ignoring the great firewall of China" for technology details.

And Yahoo! did betray its users once and caused the arrest of a Chinese journalist named Shi Tao.
I don't know if the other companies have ever betrayed their users.