Tor Desktop

I'm trying to implement the Tor Desktop as shown at freehaven on a Xubuntu VMWare install.  First, is this project dead?  Secondly, how can I tell if this is working.  I'm a noob in Linux so any help is good.  I didn't want to use the Virtual Privacy Machine on metropipe as it seems too integrated with their service and didn't want to accidently uninstall something that I need.  LOL.  Besides, I'd like to be able to do this on my own.

Thanks,
Chris