Re: OnionCat -- An IP-Transparent TOR Hidden Service Connector

Bernhard Fischer wrote:
On Tuesday 24 June 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
<snip
My hope is to use OnionCat on my laptop to VNC via TOR to my home
computer using nomachine NX. Is that kind of use possible with OC?

Thanks again.

Yes, this should work. But why would you like to do this? TOR's hidden services are not very fast even though no exit nodes are required.
And if you connect to your own computer, anonymity is not an issue.
If you only want to have encryption I suggest to use ssh oder openvpn.

Thank you for your quick reply!

This would be used only from open, WIFI hotspots while I'm on the road. I'm typically gone for two to three weeks, and the computer would be home unattended.

1. Connecting via TOR would be an extra, minor security option to conceal the fact that my home is running a VNC server - eavesdropping kids at the hotspot may try to make it a hacking "prize".

2. Out of general principle, I see no reason to record my home IPA in the various hotspot logs. I wish to come and go quietly without "signing in".

Question:

Using the "phone home" example above, is there any way that my home computer could go out to the general WAN and access non-TOR, non-OC resources? IIUC, the TUN device means that my computers can only connect with each other!? i.e. can I also somehow connect out on eth0 while maintaining an OC/TUN connection?