Re: Tor security advisory: Debian flaw causes weak identity keys

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:55:35AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>   While we believe the v2 authority keys (used in Tor 0.1.2.x) were
>   generated correctly, at least three of the six v3 authority keys (used
>   in Tor 0.2.0.x) are known to be weak. This fraction is uncomfortably
>   close to the majority vote needed to create a networkstatus consensus,
>   so the Tor 0.2.0.26-rc release changes these three affected keys.

When we rotated three of the six v3 authority keys in mid May, we decided
to sign new consensuses with both the new keys and the old keys for a
short time, so people who hadn't upgraded yet wouldn't have their Tors
totally break on them.

Today ends that interim period. We've disabled the "legacy" keys
on moria1, tor26, and gabelmoo. This means that anybody running Tor
0.2.0.9-alpha through Tor 0.2.0.25-rc inclusive will find that their
Tor can't find network information, and will stop working. Upgrade.

--Roger