Re: SCTP

     On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:11:44 -0400 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 This may seem to some like beating a dead horse, but SCTP r=
>eally is
>> coming to the Internet. =C2=A0It just looks too useful to die like OSI di=
>d. =C2=A0The
>> more I find out about it, the more it looks like a really good match for
>> tor. =C2=A0In fact, it looks like it might be something from a network-
>> application-developer heaven. =C2=A0It has been available in FreeBSD sinc=
>> 7.0-RELEASE and was officially announced as being a fully supported part
>> of FreeBSD when 7.2-RELEASE was made available about a month ago. =C2=A0M=
>ore
>> features will be supported in 8.0-RELEASE whenever that comes out, too.
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 There must be similar progress in LINUX kernel development,=
> but I
>> don't follow that very much, so I'd be grateful if a few of the LINUX use=
>rs
>> on this list were to describe the current support status of SCTP in the
>> various distributions of LINUX. =C2=A0Sooner or later, even Micro$lop wil=
>l have
>> to release it for its miserable excuses for operating systems, too.
>[snip]
>
>SCTP works fine in Linux. Has been there since around the kernel 2.5 days.

     That's very good to know.  FreeBSD 7.0 came out about a year and a half
ago.  I'm just guessing, but would LINUX 2.5 have been about six months to a
year before that?
     Anyway, it's good to know that the most numerous group of tor nodes is
running on hosts that support SCTP.  I don't think the other BSDs have it yet,
but they'll have to at some point.  There's a tremendous amount of code sharing
that goes on between the BSDs and also Mac OS X, so it's quite possible that
the SCTP support in FreeBSD 7 will be grafted onto the others with only modest
adaptations.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG