Re: Introducing Torfox 3.0.10

Kyle wrote:
> I'm not seeing the benefit of Tor Fox since Tor Browser Bundle[1] and XB Browser[2] do the same thing your doing.  Why are you trying to recreate work that's been done already?

It doesn't work exactly the same.

> First off, you didn't even have the browser's proxy set to use Tor on port 9060, I had to set that myself.

You don't need to set the proxy. I've made changes at the socket level to Firefox so that it always uses Tor.

> I noted that the Tor Fox homepage is set to use the Tor Fox search engine, which is uses Google results, and display's google ADs right on the top of the page.  I was able to get a real IP address from my deanonymizer that I've been working on. Further more, a few security issues exist with Tor Fox.

This is an initial release. I've been reading up on Torbutton and have already added most of the features he's done. Also, there are a few things he can't do because he has to wait for Firefox developers to fix some bugs. I don't have that problem.

> This leads me to think that you're trying to make a quick buck off of Google ADs while leaving Tor users exposed to security exploits of would-be evil doers or some hackers that just enjoy making a ruckus.

The Google ads will never cover the hosting fees for the Tor relays I'm running so I'm not making any profit. Also, this is not finished software by far. It's the very first release so I think you're judging a little too hasty. This is more of a proof of concept than anything else. If you read my first post you will see that I'm not even sure there is enough interest in this to keep developing it full time. I'm going to give it a few months and see if it goes anywhere.

> So, if you are serious about securing Tor Fox then you need to install TorButton.  Mike Perry and others have worked hard on making TorButton secure from several different types of attacks and information leakage, hence why it is used and trusted by many.  You should have a look at the design document for Torbutton.

That defeats the purpose of building from the source code. I can do things that an extension can't do and the things it can do, better. The design document is very helpful though.