Re: Help Iranian dissidents by collecting and posting Bridge addresses? (here?)

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:30:28PM +0300, Teodor Robas wrote:
> Notice that a link was presented to instructions on how to set up
> squid based proxy servers.
> That may be the reason why the proxy technique got in the media but I
> do not know why tor was not mentioned at all.

Tor has been mentioned in a variety of articles. We actually try to avoid
getting big mentions in the press -- every time I talk to journalists they
have visions of headlines like "Tor Project declares war on China!" or
"Lone American hacker conquers communist nation", but the reality is
that those sort of articles will hurt much more than they help.

Getting the news to the right people is very important, and I'm happy
that Tor instructions are spreading by word-of-mouth, blogs, etc. But
huge high-profile stories in Western media will end up forcing the
authorities in these countries to act when otherwise they might not
need to. You can bet that plenty of policy people in other countries are
watching right now to learn what technologies they should instruct their
firewall operators to prepare better for. It's a delicate balancing act.

--Roger