From: Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help Iranian dissidents
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 11:38 AM

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 01:02:09PM +0200, Karsten N. wrote:
> If we have problems to introduce our bridges, we should search for a
> general solution and do not give all bridges exclusive to a political
> campaign.

There are only a few hundred running bridges right now. I think it's fine
to "use" them all this week, if people want to. We'll have more later,
and it'll be good to learn some lessons here.

> Seems I am not up to date. My last information was, a GMail account is
> used for publish bridges. It does not working? Is there a solution in
> development? May I help in any way?

You can discover some bridge addresses either with a gmail account,
or with a web browser:
https://bridges.torproject.org/
https://www.torproject.org/bridges#FindingMore

It seems that other people are collecting bridge addresses manually and
giving them out when they find people who could use one. This might
be a bad idea, in that it increases the risk that the attacker will
get ahold of the bridge address, since now there are two ways to learn
it. But it also might be a good idea, since now it's more likely to get
used by somebody who needs it (not everybody knows about the above two
URLs after all).

I'm not sure what the right balance is.

In any case, the Tor network itself hasn't been blocked in Iran, as far
as I can tell. So in a sense this bridge stuff (the next step in the
arms race) is all just practice.

--Roger