Re: jurisdictional concentration of authorities

--- On Mon, 6/22/09, Martin Fick <mogulguy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If I understand this correctly, as
> > long as ICANN is "owned" by the US, they have the
> > ability to shutdown anyone they don't like.

> [lost's of talk about ICANN problems being surmountable]

But, just for grinns, how would ICANN go about attacking
an individual host anyway?  Surely they cannot revoke my
personal IP, could they?  My ISP owns that now, not ICANN,
right?  For them to revoke the block that my ISP owns, it
would be a major time consuming task wouldn't it?  That
would mean that while they may be targeting me individually,
they would have to be attacking many others, including my
ISP inadvertently.  Surely, by the time the attack were
successful (years presumably?) I would have simply opened
another account with another ISP, perhaps even in another
country and gotten my self another IP, no?

I do not think this is even a close threat to the original
threat of "the directory authorities being shutdown" by a
single jurisdiction".

Please enlighten me if I am miss-guided,

-Martin