Re: Question About Security Threat from Tor

Michael wrote:

> Jim McClanahan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have read on this mailing list several times about how some
> > previous versions of Tor contain vulnerabilities that can
> > threaten the host machine itself.

<snip>

>     Hi Jim,
>
>     Not so much related to Tor itself, but more toward general
>     security.  If a standard user account were to be compromised,
>     that's the first step in getting control of a machine.

<snip>

Thanks, Michael.

My impression from the list was it was a direct threat rather than just
a stepping stone.  Maybe the references were to Microsoft Windows, or
maybe I misunderstood.  And I know next to nothing about the security
model of MS Windows ...

Jim