Re: Why not TOR come up with an encryption system?

>  And once we're requiring both sides of the communication to install
>  extra software, we might as well just have both sides just support SSL
>  and be done with it.

Tor [exit nodes] can always attempt to initiate opportunistic IPSEC.
You might be surprised how many servers out there do run IKE,
whether intentional or not. Tor could reference docs as to turning
it on when configuring exit nodes...

It's not just HTTP[s] that needs it, but pop, imap, etc. SSL on certain
ports, yes, sure. But IKE/IPSEC covering everything, and the PKI aspect
of SSL where warranted, now that's swell.