Re: [tor-talk] embedding tor into apps?

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 01:01:19PM +0200, Jerzy ??ogiewa wrote:
> are there any apps which embed tor? how to do it in C++ project?

Well...Orbot (Tor on Android) kinda-embeds it. And by that, I mean that
it packages tor, runs it on a shell and communicates with it over the control port.

The real question is: Why would you want to embed Tor? Unless you have a
very specific case, I'd advise you not to. Tor is meant to run as a
daemon, you communicate over it (via SOCKS 4a, e.g.), do a SOCKS RESOLVE (or
use tor-resolve) to do DNS queries, control it with the control port,
done. That's how it works for most users, at least.

In what way does a regular non-embedded Tor running as a daemon on your
system not satisfy your requirements?

Cheers,

Manuel