Re: [tor-talk] [Bitcoin-development] Tor hidden service support

On 6/27/12 12:05 PM, Bernd wrote:
> 2012/6/27 Maxim Kammerer <mk@xxxxxx>:
>
>> but that requires some
>> foresight
>
> It needs help from the Tor devs. For example Is there a fixed ftp or
> http address where I can always get the latest stable tor.exe (only
> the naked .exe file without installer)?

There's a ticket on Tor's Trac to do something similar:

This is a requirement also to automate APAF build dependency setup, that
currently have to follow different procedures:

https://raw.github.com/mmaker/APAF/devel/docs/source/build_win32.rst
https://raw.github.com/mmaker/APAF/devel/docs/source/build_osx.rst

However i agree that it maybe also valuable to have a release by Tor
Project of a pure naked Tor binary, statically compiled for all platform
(Windows, Linux, OSX), that's valuable for third party integration,
always available in the same path as a "-latests" version.

>> and competence.
>
> Please show us the code of *your* competent solution for a portable
> Tor-using software on an USB key that can simply be plugged into any
> Windows, Linux or Mac PC and then just works. We could all profit from
> it. Static linking and/or bundling a needed runtime environment is
> *not* a sign of incompetence, its a result of necessity. Even Tor.exe
> itself contains some statically linked 3rd party stuff.

Regarding the strict requirement to keep TorHS key on filesystem and
consequent inability to protect the private key, please have a look at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5976 .

You may find interesting for your development of new TorChat .

You know well which are the difficulties in making a third party
software incorporating Tor.

So i expect that a certain part of your effort could be on working on
Tor's tickets and codes to make it easier also for others to make Tor's
based applications :-))

-naif