Re: [tor-talk] [Bitcoin-development] Tor hidden service support

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is bitcoin software going to incorporate tor binaries within the
> application standard application

There are no plans to do this currently.

Maybe it makes sense, but I'm somewhat doubtful about that.

> automatically create a Tor Hidden
> Service on behalf of end-user?

This would be niceâ there would need to be some way (preferably over
the socks port?) for bitcoin to request a hidden service be created
and to discover the address of it. Unlike torchar we don't need access
to the keys. It would need to have some way of returning the same
address if called multiple times for the same destination service so
that the hidden service address doesn't change with every restart.

Although there would be some tricky security issues to work out with
this functionalityâ e.g. what happens when some rogue java code you
accidentally run starts creating hidden service backdoors to your
machine?

I thought this was already a proposed tor feature, but I'm not finding
it right now.

> Regarding the addressing, why not use directly the .onion address?

It does use the onion addressesâ they just need to be mapped into an
IPv6 address in order to be carried by the existing bitcoin p2p
protocol. The mapping is a bijection and externally to bitcoin it's
identical to using the onion addresses. E.g. the command-line
parameters deal with .onion addresses, the logs record .onion
addresses, and .onion addresses are passed into tor.