Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle 3.0alpha1 test builds

Moritz Bartl:

> Hi Mike,
>
> In short: This is awesome!
>
> I suggest to get some things fixed before you do a blog post :-)
>
> 32-bit vs. 64-bit:
> When I try to run the linux32 version on my 64bit system, it just says
> "Tor Browser exited abnormally. Exit code: 255". This should be fixed, a
> *lot* of users pick the wrong one. Probably the same is true for Mac. I
> wrote a small patch for the launcher that should detect this properly
> for Linux, and is easy to port to Mac. It's been in needs_review for 3
> months: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3841

Sounds good. I will see if I can merge this for the next release.

> Linux:
> Every first time I run it after extraction, it immediately launches Tor
> Browser and shows what looks like the default Mozilla start page. When I
> try to open any other page, it gives me a proxy error.
> When I close it, and run it again,
> - en_US: the Tor Network Settings wizard comes up. Tor Browser still
> opens the default Mozilla startpage, but browsing works. "about:tor" is
> not a valid address.
> - de: shows correct startpage, about:tor works

Can anyone else reproduce this? I am not able to. I've been using
various versions of the en_US bundles for about a month now just fine,
including the "official" ones I linked to in the parent post.

Are you sure you're not overwriting an old copy with pref damage or
something?

> Windows/NSIS:
> 1. I pushed a new update that gets rid of the generic "Welcome" page.
> Should have done this long ago. Sorry.
> 2. My script should use an onion icon for the installer executable.

Ok, also when you're satisfied, can you tag a release and sign that tag?

> l11n:
> At least the German translation should see some improvements before you
> do a final release. I'll look into Transifex within the next days. The
> blog post announcing the alpha should call for help in that regard.
>
> Some dialogs cut off text, for example the (quite prominent) "Connecting
> to the Tor network" dialog.

Ok.

--
Mike Perry