Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle 3.0alpha1 test builds

Micah Lee:

> Hey Mike, I have a question about filenames.
>
> The 3.0 alpha1s are all hosted here for now?
> https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/tbb-3.0alpha1-builds/official/
>
> But soon (maybe Monday with your blog post) they will be here too?
> https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/

Correct.

> Tor Browser Launcher's auto-updating works by loading and parsing
> https://check.torproject.org/RecommendedTBBVersions and then uses that
> string to build the full URL of the .tar.gz and the .tar.gz.asc files to
> download.
>
> Right now the latest alpha version is "3.0-alpha-1-Linux", so TBL is
> trying to download this URL:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/tor-browser-gnu-linux-x86_64-3.0-alpha-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz
>
> But that's returning a 404 error for now, because the 3.0-alpha-1s
> aren't in https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/ yet. But
> even when they are, it looks like the file naming system has changed.
> TBL expects these:
>
> tor-browser-gnu-linux-i686-3.0-alpha-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz
> tor-browser-gnu-linux-x86_64-3.0-alpha-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz
>
> But it looks like the new files are in this format:
>
> tor-browser-linux32-3.0-alpha-1_en-US.tar.xz
> tor-browser-linux64-3.0-alpha-1_en-US.tar.xz
>
> They're also .tar.xz files instead of .tar.gz files. When they're
> uploading directly to torproject.org/dist will the file names remain in
> the format that TBL is currently expecting?

Yeah, all of these filename changes are due to various aspects of Gitian
that make the bundle names different. The current naming scheme should
remain the same for the rest of the 3.0 series, though.

As a heads up: somewhere later in the alpha series we will be redoing
the directory organization inside the bundles as well.

> And do you think it would be possible to only update
> RecommendedTBBVersions when there's an associated tarball available
> for download in a predictable place so that we don't get into a
> situation where there's an updated version but TBL can't find it?

There will always be a chicken/egg problem here. We need to update the
recommended versions file before the bundles get uploaded so that the
first people who download them don't immediately get told they are out
of date.

--
Mike Perry