[tor-talk] Firefox Portable and Access Denied on Lock File (Windows, x64) (Was: Tor Browser Bundle 3.0alpha1 test builds)

Hi All/Mike,

My apologies for spinning up another thread. The original seemed like
it was getting cluttered, and I believe the cause has been found.

In this installation, the Tor bundle was installed in %PROGRAMFILES%.
Specifically, C:\Program Files (x86)\Tor Browser.

If I run "Start Tor Browser.exe" as a regular user, I receive an error
message, "Firefox is already running, but not responding...". See
"tor-firefox-windows-already-running.png" at
http://postimg.org/image/cf8ily0sp/.

When I trace the processes involved (Start Tor, Tor, and Firefox)
using Sysinternal's Process Monitor, it appears Firefox is trying to
write a lock file in %PROGRAMFILES%. The lock file is ...\Tor
Browser\FirefoxPortable\Data\Profile\parent.lock, and it results in an
ACCESS_DENIED. See "tor-firefox-windows-access-denied.png" at
http://postimg.org/image/xlzmb3j1b/.

If I run "Start Tor Browser.exe" as an Administrator, the browser works fine.

When the Tor Browser is launched after installation (as part of the
installation), the browser works fine. I believe this is because the
setup/install program is not dropping privileges after it completes.

In this case, FirefoxPortable should probably be writing its lock file
to a temporary directory or the User's application data directory
(CSIDL_APPDATA or FOLDERID_RoamingAppData,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378457%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).
It should not attempt to write to a read/execute directory.

Jeff