Re: [tor-talk] "Torifier" for Windows

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/17/13 9:32 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>>

>> Also, its API hooking system is based on the ubiquitous  ZDisasm.c
>> file written by Z0MBiE, who to the best of my knowledge never actually
>> put a license on it.  So it might be legally problematic to
>> redistribute (unless I'm wrong about that, and Z0MBiE *did* explicitly
>> put it ZDisasm.c under some open-source license or release it under
>> the public domain.)
>>
> I tried to write to the guy but his email doesn't exist anymore, not even
> his homepage.
>
> The code is already integrated in several opensource project under various
> license (LGPL, BSD, APACHE).

My guess is that everybody is assuming, with no actual evidence, that
the code is in the public domain.

(Maybe they think that because the author put the code up with no
license, that makes it public domain?  It doesn't.  Or maybe they
think that because "Z0MBiE" is a "hacker name", the author probably
doesn't intend to enforce copyright?  That might be so, but again, I
have seen no real evidence for that so far.)

best wishes,
--
Nick