Re: [tor-talk] Until there's a REAL effing way to communicate, that evey1 can use, I'm DONE

Hi Warren,

________________________________
 From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Until there's a REAL effing way to communicate, that evey1 can use, I'm DONE

On Jun 17, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Cat S <catslovetor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This mailing-list is a stupid fucking joke, well, at least for those of us who aren't techies. Really, this is stupid, you're not allowing a lot of people to community by using this Ivory tower mailing-list crap.

Personally, I've only recently become interested in Tor and I was *happy* to see that its community uses a mailing list rather than a forum. To each his own. No need to remember yet another log-in, and each posting s sent directly to me. What could be more convenient?

I'm not sure where you're coming from. Why can't non-techies use email?!? How is this mailing list preventing a lot of people from communicating?

You're clearly frustrated about something, I'm not sure what and, despite the length of your tirade, you failed to explain why a mailing list is (in your opinion) "ivory tower" and beyond the capabilities of non-techies.

Okay, we get it, you prefer forum software of some kind, but why? Why is email so terrible? Why is a forum superior for those you deem non technical?

I don't want to re-hash _years_ old debates, please read the bug report links and other links I posted to old tor-talk threads. That will explain why I and many others feel there should be an official Tor forum.

TL;DR: Newbs won't use mailing-lists; mailing-lists are a entry barrier to newbs getting help. TBB is geared for newbs, yet we don't try to help them in an efficient and meaningful way.

And I never suggested the mailing-lists should go away, the problem is mailing-lists only help a small sub-set of TBB users, those that don't really need basic newbish help.