[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.4.14-alpha is out

Hi, everybody!

Usually, Roger sends these announcements out, but he's away from the
internet this week, and I thought it was a good idea to get this one
out soon, given the discussion in the last thread on this list.  For
obvious reasons, it'll be signed with my GPG key, not Roger's.

I don't do releases too often, so it's possible I've messed up
building or uploading or publishing something.  I hope not, though!
Please let me know if there's anything I need to resolve.

It would be a great help if a bunch of people could test this one out
once it exists in your preferred package format: we're hoping to get
0.2.4.x into a stable status as soon as we can, and we're also
planning to backport a number of fixes from this release into a new
0.2.3.x release soon if they prove to be stable.  Testing helps us
backport fixes with confidence, and reach stability in a timely
fashion.

=====

Tor 0.2.4.14-alpha fixes a pair of client guard enumeration problems
present in 0.2.4.13-alpha.  It also includes all of the various fixes
present in 0.2.4.13-alpha; see the ChangeLog for full details there.

The source is up now at:

   https://www.torproject.org/dist/

There should be more packages uploaded once they're ready.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - When we have too much memory queued in circuits (according to a new
      MaxMemInCellQueues option), close the circuits consuming the most
      memory. This prevents us from running out of memory as a relay if
      circuits fill up faster than they can be drained. Fixes bug 9063;
      bugfix on the 54th commit of Tor. This bug is a further fix beyond
      bug 6252, whose fix was merged into 0.2.3.21-rc.

      This change also fixes an earlier approach taken in 0.2.4.13-alpha,
      where we tried to solve this issue simply by imposing an upper limit
      on the number of queued cells for a single circuit. That approach
      proved to be problematic, since there are ways to provoke clients to
      send a number of cells in excess of any such reasonable limit. Fixes
      bug 9072; bugfix on 0.2.4.13-alpha.

    - Limit hidden service descriptors to at most ten introduction
      points, to slow one kind of guard enumeration. Fixes bug 9002;
      bugfix on 0.1.1.11-alpha.