Re: [tor-talk] Recommended method for updating an existing TBB

Hi Andrew,

________________________________
 From: Andrew Lewman <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Recommended method for updating an existing TBB

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:44:53 +1000
bvvq <beveryveryquiet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How do other users update their existing TBB software?
> Are my steps for updating incorrect or unsafe?
> Is there a recommended method for updating an existing TBB software?

Extracting over existing Tor Browser is strongly discouraged.
Installing plugins and changing settings is strongly discouraged.

Export your bookmarks. Wipe the existing Tor Browser directory. Extract
the new TBB. Import your bookmarks.

Or just use firefox sync with a throwaway/anonymous email account.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact

Mike Perry has stated many times e.g. [0,1], that he suggests simply overwriting the old TBB dir with the new TBB dir extracted from the updated TBB. AFIAK, the only time he suggests otherwise (aside from a one-off update some time ago) is with his most recent TBB alpha release (without Vadalia), in that case he doesn't suggest overwriting.

Mike: Please correct me, or Andrew, depending upon who's correct.

[0] This is only one example of Mike's claim, now, if we had a damn forum it would be easy to search for his past posts, but we don't, so we're left to drag out knuckles and search Google as so: "overwrite" + "Tor Browser" + "Perry" site: site:lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-November/022263.html

[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-October/021772.html
"I would recommend just overwriting your old TBB dir with the new data.
Sometimes we change prefs+create new ones, which could cause bugs for
you when you copy old-over-new. I guess you're right in that we should
only be doing that for built-in prefs, too, though."