Re: [tor-talk] Recommended method for updating an existing TBB

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 12:44:53PM +1000, bvvq wrote:
> How do other users update their existing TBB software?

Good question. My upgrade procedure goes like this (on linux, but that's not
relevant):

- Close firefox and shut down tor

- Rename the old TBB folder

  mv /path/tor /path/tor.old

- Extract the new TBB package to /path/tor

- Remove the firefox profile from the newly extracted TBB and replace it with
  the one from my old TBB

  By "firefox profile" I mean:
  - the "/path/tor/Data/profiles.ini" file
  - the "/path/tor/Data/profile" folder

- Start tor, watch firefox checking compatibility of add-ons, and fix possible
  problems (never had so far).

This way, I can port my firefox customisations (bookmarks, adblock plugin, some
GUI tweakings in about:config) to the new TBB release.

Of course installing extra plugins and messing with about:config is discouraged,
unless you really know what you are doing.

Hope this helps!

Cri