Re: [tor-talk] Non-free country law preventing Tor from getting donations

On 6/17/14, Juan <juan.g71@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:17:44 -0500
> Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> People on the outside looking in, see an organization, whose primary
>> purpose is to provide means to protect privacy, *especially* from
>> gov't agencies, but the major portion of their funding comes FROM a
>> gov't agency.
>
> 	Heres news for you :
>
> 	The primary purpose of the tor project is to spy on people who
> 	are not subservient to the american military.
>
> 	The US military canÂt easily spy on internet traffic in places
> 	like, say, china or iran, because those countries are
> 	firewalled.
>
> 	So the US military needs something like tor.
>
> 	Also, tor is a way for the US military to monitor its own
> 	ÂdissidentsÂ.

May be so, but I remember reading an NSA slide from Snowden's leaks
showing their intent to break TOR, and some problems they faced in
doing so.

So Tor provides (of necessity I guess, to work to break the great
firewall etc) some level of genuine facility - it is a useful tool for
"dissidents" as much as for grouping dissidents into "use of one
tool".

There ARE individuals around the planet who say "I don't have to be
doing anything wrong to want my privacy".

Use of tools to enhance privacy/ anonymity, does not imply that you
are doing anything wrong, and may imply that you are a strong
supporter of human rights.

Ie, we could say "PGP is a way for the US military to monitor its own
ÂdissidentsÂ" yet that flies in the face of the "arms export" block
that was fought so hard against by Phil Zimmerman.

Not all is as simple as it first may appear.

Zenaan