[tor-talk] How does DNS work with .onion addresses?

Hello,

I know that when the TBB connects to a 'normal' .com or .org or whatever address then the DNS resolution is done by the exit node.  There is no need anymore (not for several years now) for the client to set-up DNS manually (as used to be the case with Polipo or Privoxy).

However, how does DNS work for .onion?  I assume that each exit node understands how to route traffic for all .onion addresses? How does it know how to direct the client request?

Is it possible for DNS to leak with .onion?

Thanks,