Re: [tor-talk] Illegal Activity As A Metric of Tor Security and Anonymity

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> the original argument is based on faulty assumptions.
>
> Rather, it presents untested hypotheses. As in the past with
> these sorts of sites, the operator perhaps got vanned for reasons
> other than any particular weakness of tor itself, or just vanished
> for unknown reasons.

all of these; assuming discovery of hidden sites remains consistently
authoritative of all resources (the presumption of fewer hidden
services leading to flawed hypothesis, ...)

to be clear: i disagree with the measurements, just as much as i
disagree with the conclusions drawn from them.

> Even without the cluster of services in question there's still around
> 1150 onions to browse... nearly a full rebound from the former
> events.

and yet here too, a limited metric.

> ... That's really the only way to
> resolve some of these hypotheses... with facts.

indeed.  until then, i can only provide subjective experience as well.

for what's it's worth, my experience is to the contrary. in network
hostile environments Tor is increasingly the only effective technology
i can use to remain in robust communication.

best regards,