[tor-talk] Tor Browser is already running

As a user of firefox, I am aware that when firefox is running, you can call
[$ firefox <url>] or [$ firefox --new-tab <url>] and it will add a new tab to
your existing firefox process. This is really handy if you would like another
process to open a link in Firefox.

With the tor-browser-bundle, despite the [--help] option indicates that "All
unrecognized arguments will be passed to the browser". However, when you
launch [$ tor-browser-en --new-tab <url>], [$ tor-browser-en <url>] or even
[$ tor-browser], you get the following error:

"Tor Browser is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window,
you must first close the existing Tor Browser process, or restart your
system."

Is there a way to get this functionality with the existing browser bundle, as
this feature works fine on vanilla Firefox? If not what would be required to
allow these requests to be forwarded to the underling firefox process, or are
there security/anonymity implications involved and thus this feature is
disabled?

p.s. [$ <command> <parameters>] is my way of indicating that you launch
<command> in the shell of your preference with non-root permissions.