Re: [tor-talk] do Cloudfare captchas ever work?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, but how is that a "business" for an exit relay?  Business implies profit
> or gaining some benefit.
> You're saying that some exit relay operator would form business partnerships
> with sites, to provide captcha services?
> Wouldn't that be detectable to the Tor Project - or not?
> Does it make sense that an operator would limit their captcha service (for
> sale), to sites - only if site users / customers came thru the few relays
> they control?  Not much of a market.
> Isn't that like Cloudfare only offering their services to a few sites out of
> the entire web?

The website are not part of the game at all.  It's much simpler.

Spammers would like to solve CAPTCHAs.  They submit them to the hypothetical
CAPTCHA solving service, with micropayment, and receive the solution.
Outsourcing through the Tor network would make it possible in real time.

It's just a thought experiment.  Ever since we've been subjected to this
nuissance I've had the opinion that services like Cloudflare (not to pick
on them) that centralize the web are harmful.