Re: [tor-talk] Which reputable webmail providers function well with Tor?

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 01:58:59PM +0000, df. wrote:

> "Freedom Act jurisdiction"?  I remember in 2014 the NSA monitored
> Chancellor Angela Merkel:
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/germany-expected-to-open-investigation-into-nsa-spying-on-merkel-a-973326.html

One thing is the dragnet mass surveillance that feeds into XKEYSCORE
for free. Hosting your mail at riseup or gmail means the contents or
the fact you've been using crypto with somebody will get indexed for
later use anytime in your life.

The other thing is targeted interception of GSM traffic near the
chancellor's office from the top of the US embassy building. We know
that the 5 eyes can probably work themselves into most of the e-mail
systems on earth, but at least it is an active act of intrusion -
not provided by free by a regional law.

If two people have their accounts with a well chosen provider outside
the US, there is a vague possibility they can exchange messages that
do not end up in XKEYSCORE. Even if they end up in somebody else's
dragnet, then at least they're distributed better.

> It would be nice if you could recommend something.

My general rule is we should all stop using SMTP, so I don't make
recommendations on any specific offerings. I have my own server with
my little collective, and that is a pain as well, because in this
unfree Internet running your own server means getting bullied by the
cloud servers for being a potential spammer or malware host.

> Answering the topic, Riseup is a webmail provider that functions well
> with Tor.  I use Riseup but my personal favorite is Sigaint and
> recommend that.

A SMTorP node based in Italy? Yeah, that should work. Raiding a home
to break a Tor server offering isn't something that happens easily
in Italy. Does it gateway to regular SMTP? In any case, even if not
perfect, it doesn't take much to be less at mercy of the 5 eyes
minority interests than by having an account at riseup, hotmail or gmail.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/