Re: [tor-talk] 2 hop mode for people that only want to use Tor for censorship circumvention to conserve bandwidth and decrease latency?

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/12/2016 4:32 PM, T F wrote:
>
>> Create an Exit Node on your Own IP Adresse. Now any Traffic that is
>> produced on your IP could be done from anyone else. So this could be the
>> best case for you. You surf over the IP of an Tor Exit no latency no
>> Traffic lost!
>> Am 12.06.2016 9:56 nachm. schrieb "gdfg dfgf" <torrio888@xxxxxx>:
>>
>> I'm far from an expert, but is this the best idea, in general?
> It's been said, don't run an exit node from your own house / computer /
> personal server - for safety reasons (I think).
> If they / s/he created an exit node "at home" & allowed other traffic thru
> it, they could be asking for trouble when someone does illegal things thru
> their node & LEAs come knocking (maybe not even knock - do they have to
> knock at least once - these days?)

Even aside from LEO's turning up, there's another issue with this. Any
service that blocks Tor exits will block your IP so you'll lose access to
pages you could normally access. Some sites don't limit themselves to
blocking exits, so even running a relay at home can have this effect.

As Ivan said, if someone takes an interest it's also possible to
distinguish which traffic originated from you and which came in from a
downstream relay, so it doesn't give quite the protection T F is
suggesting. Also, as Ivan said, it's a completely useless solution if the
aim is to circumvent downstream censorship

> And how (many, not all) people tend to believe the worst about most
> accused persons, regardless of the lack of or thinness of evidence, much
> less waiting for any legal process?  An interesting but not necessarily
> admirable human trait.
> If the accused is a different race than ourselves, it's often worse.
>  Some people see an accused's face on TV (no evidence yet) & say, "Oh yeah,
> you can tell s/he's guilty, just by looking." Wow!  Really?  I hope they're
> not on my jury of "peers" if I'm ever accused.

As well as the oft-quoted "there's no smoke without fire", or "there must
be something to it, or the case wouldn't have reached court"

--
Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk