Re: [tor-talk] Bittorrent starting to move entirely within anonymous overlay nets

Le 18/06/2016 Ã 02:01, Zenaan Harkness a Ãcrit :
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:20:16PM +0200, Aymeric Vitte wrote:
>> Le 17/06/2016 Ã 12:51, Zenaan Harkness a Ãcrit :
>>> Those are not grarpamp's point - as load increases toi the point where the
>>> network has some actual "problem", this will motivate various people to do
>>> those things required to actually improve the network.
>> That's what I am saying, move bt to anonymous, more traffic, increasing
>> nodes, this will never happen with the Tor network
> Why not?

For plenty of reasons: Tor is centralized, in order for others to extend
circuits toward a Tor node it must be declared in the centralization
system and therefore will get traffic (you can advertise a ridiculous
bandwidth to limit this but you will not stop it), then quality of the
circuits would be degraded by the bandwidth of the peers and their
instability (coming in and leaving), peers could act as bridges or just
"freeride" but then it seems difficult to reach them and/or will get
blackisted, monitoring of the Tor network to prevent and defeat attacks
will become much more difficult, etc, under that conditions it's
difficult to imagine a few thousands of nodes scale to hundred of
millions of peers like bt, and it's difficult to imagine that the Tor
project will collaborate with this, the Tor network is designed to
browse the web not to support a p2p system

--
Get the torrent dynamic blocklist: http://peersm.com/getblocklist
Check the 10 M passwords list: http://peersm.com/findmyass