Re: [tor-talk] Food for thought

> It's a beautiful thread, and yet I'm cutting here, and going off on a
> tangent. [...]

Thanks, tangents welcome!

> So anyway, as this tragedy initially unfolded, it was the largely
> anonymous, and unremittingly strident, quality of the accusations that
> influenced me most. But now that other Tor devs and activists have
> told their stories, and now that I've seen various leaked internal
> documents, I'm convinced that Jake did some serious shit, and had to go.

Everyone has their way of processing. I took the statement on the Tor blog
quite seriously, but I had no idea what orders of magnitude the
accusations would have. After that blog post, events came thick and fast,
and there is a lot to criticise about the aftermath. My kudos to Shari
Steele for finally confronting a situation, that had apparently been swept
under the rug for many years. We will see what the outcome is.

> Still, I'm left with a poor impression of just about everyone
> involved. I don't mean to blame anyone.

I find it very hard to have a differentiated opinion without blaming
people. I have a personal shitlist, which I hesitate to share, and it is a
long read. But I don't want to feed the endless circles of anger, revenge,
blame, guilt, judgement, accusations and justifications, I don't want to
put my energy into this. Maybe it is simply too early for shitlists. What
can be done though, is reevaluate ones own role in a community (see inital
post).

> But damn, the Tor community
> during the past few years comes across as a soap opera!

Good to know at least some of us have not lost their sense of humor
/sarcasm! What adds to the complexity of the soap opera, is that there is
no homogenous "community", but lots of groupings and individuals within
the community, who follow their own agendas.

> And the code
> that came out of that soap opera is what people are counting on?
> Seriously?

Since the code is open source, that part is transparent and not dependent
on assumptions or trust, but on maths and physics. Those sciences tend to
be a lot more logically consistent and coherent than humans. Or soap opera
scripts. Or CSI: Cyber scenarios.