Re: [tor-talk] Design of next-generation Tor systems

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 08:38:55AM -0400, Paul Syverson wrote:
> Everything's a technical term to somebody. Roughly yes I was
> contrasting client/server with anything where every entity is both a
> participant and part of the routing infrastructure (in that sense the
> first published and deployed onion routing system in 1996 was p2p in
> that there was no separation of clients and relays (that was changed
> in 1997), although we assumed most end users would be connecting to
> onion routers rather than running them locally). The reality is
> of course more complex with a variety of centralization/decentralization
> features to routing, to directory systems, etc. (The 1997-98 design
> separated clients from relays, but planned for a flat distribution
> of directory information---which was never fully completed.)
> You want to be as decentralized as you can, but not more than that. ;>)

Maybe maybe we now have the knowledge and technology to be able
to make an authority-free onion routing system... wouldn't that
fulfil an old dream?

> > > One reason is discussed in section 2.4 of
> > > "Bridging and Fingerprinting: Epistemic Attacks on Route Selection"
> > > http://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/danezis-pet2008.pdf
> > > For me this remains an open hard area that I continue to focus on.
> >
> > Then you should find GNUnet's network size estimation (nse) module
> > quite interesting as it empowers cadet (the routing backend that
> > Bart describes in the video I linked in the previous mail) to know
> > when it is being attacked. So from my point of knowledge this issue
> > has been solved, but you may want to dig deeper with the designers
> > of this solution: Bart Polot and Christian Grothoff.
>
> I'll try to watch it when I get a chance.

Thank you. Did you find some time for this?

> Sorry I couldn't make it to STRINT. As ever, I'm way behind (probably
> shouldn't be taking time for this exchange), but I hope to look at
> it more closely as soon as I get a chance.

Things you wrote papers about should be a priority, no?
I would be curious as hell if somebody solved my problems.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/