Re: reconsidering default exit policy

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:56:57AM -0500, Rod Begbie wrote:

:As a compromise, how about blocking 6667 and 80 in the default tor
:ExitPolicy, then having in the supplied torrc:
:
:# Port 80 (HTTP)   Administrators running routers with port 80 open
:# have received abuse reports regarding Google Groups, and been
:# added to the IP blacklist at Wikipedia
:#ExitPolicy accept *:80
:
:Easy to enable if you want to, and the server operator is aware of
:the risk.

I like the placement, but I think people are too quick to default 80
to closed.  Though I agree it's vital people are informed of the risks.

I'd like to see some mention in the blurb that the usefulness of tor
for web brouwsing is limited by the numbe rof nodes willing to allow
exit to port 80 (hopefully a better writer can condense that to
somehting people will read).

I'd also like to see it default to open.

-Jon