Re: Firefox extension: TorButton

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 07:00:39PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I poked at torbutton a bit with my Firefox 1.0.x on Debian Sarge, and
> I couldn't get it to install. Perhaps I did something wrong or perhaps
> it is not easily compatible that far back.

It is probably a problem with the extension.  There were some major changes to
the extension architecture in Firefox 1.5, so I guess I need to find a copy of
1.0 and fiddle with it.

> Trying to be smarter than the users will make them sad. I think the
> best plan is to leave this setting alone.

Do you think it would be worth it to add the proxy exclusion list to the
statusbar panel?  For example, "Tor Enabled, except for: localhost, 127.0.0.1".
At that point, I'd need a whole toolbar to avoid hogging all their statusbar
space.  (My thought is that a dishonest person could put something in the
exclusion list and the user would never notice because the status would still
say tor enabled... but if they could do that, I suppose they could also just
swap Torbutton for an extension that says it is always enabled, so perhaps
there is no value in wasting the extra screen space.)

--Scott