Re: blog about tor and skype

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 02:16:00PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Step one would be to force Skype to use TCP only. I'm not sure how to do
> this; one option would be to firewall yourself so only the Tor process
> can send outbound traffic (don't ask me how to do that in Windows, it's
> probably really hard), and I hear Skype is smart enough to keep trying
> until it finds something that works.

One option to investigate for Windows would be JanusVM:
http://janusvm.peertech.org/

I haven't looked at whatever it *does* block all non-Tor traffic,
but if not it wouldn't be too hard to make it do that, if you were the
JanusVM developer.

(It still wouldn't solve the facts that Skype voice performance will suck,
and that Skype is a distributed botnet waiting to be exploited.)

--Roger