Re: Warnings on the download page

My suggestions as a no-tech user:

Perhaps the Warning should be put on top of the page, before the download links - sometimes people don't go further than the download links.

Also, might I suggest NoScript to be used in conjunction with QuickJava? And please add a line reminding users to reload the page if they use QuickJava. NoScript reloads automatically but not QuickJava.

About the evil exit nodes, these extensions might help detect false pages: HostIP.Geolocation plugin, netcrafttoolbar, FormFox, and Shazou. FormFox is somewhat paranoid and not always accurate, but it serves as a reminder of thinking before clicking "submit".

About mail client: I configure my Thunderbird 995 and 465, same server name for pop and smtp, with Torbutton. So far I have had no problem retrieving and sending. There have been mentions in this list about problems with smtp, so maybe I am missing something. Am I blithely assuming my getting and sending mail through tor and SSL?

About Windows (sorry guys) security, set up a normal user account for browsing, like they do in Linux. Change Administrator to some other moniker and set a password. And disable remote administration if you don't need this enabled.

Voila, my 2centsworth.

Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 02:14:33PM -0600, Mike Perry wrote:
> The Tor download page should have a concice "Things to know before
> downloading" section that lists a few key points about the most easy
> ways your identity can be revealed through Tor. Something like

Mike and I just whipped up an early version of this here:

http://tor.eff.org/download.html.en#Warning

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail.