Re: Tor server crashes on a Linksys WRT54GL

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:57:24AM +0100, Mark Furner wrote:
> I am experimenting with a tor server on my Linux router, but it starts 5
> processes and hogs all my CPU before crashing.

Try the 0.1.2.10-rc release -- it will start only 2 processes and then
hog all your cpu. ;)

> I am using a Linksys WRT54GL
> with OpenWRT (White Russian RC6).

How much ram does your linksys have? I hear they have been selling them
with less and less ram to discourage people from using them for anything,
so the newer it is the less likely it will run Tor (or heck, Linux) well.

> An nmap scan did not show the port open (I
> have opened TCP ports 9001 and 9030 on my firewall). Any tips so I can get
> this working?

nmap won't scan all the ports. It is the wrong tool for that purpose.
Try netstat instead.

> I would like to donate more bandwidth during the night, and think I could
> start/stop the tor server with a different torrc config file. If someone has
> a better idea how to do this, then please also let me know.

You may find
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/CronBandwidthLimit
or
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/BandwidthLimitChangeController