Vista and Thunderbird

I had a problem with a friends new Vista machine yesterday. When trying
to check email via Tor the connection failed instantly, not like the
normal time out messages you get from time to time. Firefox was working
fine though.

The way I managed to 'fix' it, eventually, is by uninstalling Tor button
and manually input the proxy setting, but instead of 'localhost' I had
to use '127.0.0.1'. The only possible reason I could find for this was
that in the command line 'localhost' resolves to the IPV6 address :::1
instead of the IPV4 address 127.0.0.1, I am not 100% sure if this is the
problem, but if anyone could shine some light on it, please let me know.