Re: I am at my wits end, I cant register for account at digg.com using tor

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:15 PM, defcon <defconoii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I completely agree, the purpose for tor is to keep your browsing
>  private, I dont think using digg anywhere is a privacy concern unless
>  you are digging illegal content that can be used against you.  The
>  only reason I use tor is to bypass company firewalls and to anonymize
>  my browsing when I am surfing on sites that could be used against me
>  or sites that nobody has business in knowing I went to.  Tor can be
>  used to expose governments to wrong doings and exercising free speech
>  when others may not grasp that concept and use what you do against
>  you.  If you are a blogger and you may offend the government or
>  organizations and these gov's/org's decide to get a court order to get
>  your ip address you are screwed without using tor, at least using tor
>  you can safely do things without too much scrutiny.  Now the
>  government has 90% of the worlds dns servers logged and isp's
>  backbones building up browsing habits like they do at libraries.
>  Every time you go to a public library everything you read is recorded
>  and the fbi/cia/nsa/and other nations gov's have access to that
>  information.  It is very possible and very probable that the
>  government is doing these things.  So if you want to exclude yourself
>  from these databases use tor.
>  -defcon

This is not the case with all libraries.  There are several libraries
(granted, smaller libraries) through which I have discussed this
thoroughly with the managers.  They take special care to destroy all
records of books that were checked out after they have been
successfully checked back in, and any fines have been paid.  I do not
feel that it this is uncommon practice.

Also, logging a DNS server is potentially not what you mean.  ISPs
keep logs, and will turn them over to the government more freely than
I feel comfortable with.

Of course, I have heard stories that the NSA logs lots and lots of
Internet traffic.  All I can contribute here is speculation, however.
:)

--
Kasimir Gabert