Re: TOR slowing down other network services

Some more info about your link would help in the diagnosis.
If you are on ADSL, as I suppose you are, and available bandwidth is
quite asymmetric, you need most of your uplink BW to send the TCP
acknowledgements for the 4mbps downlink traffic. If your download also
needs data upload, e.g. for some tit-for-tat mechanism, some of your
upload bw should also be dedicated for that, otherwise download slows down.

Now, if you throw Tor traffic in the mix, which tends to be symmetric,
you don't feel it directly on the downlink, but it takes away uplink
resources, which indirectly (through ACK dropping and through
tit-for-tat) hits back, reducing your effective downlink speed.

You can try defining your priorities .... we had a thread on that
somewhere ... see
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Feb-2008/msg00047.html
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Sep-2007/msg00419.html

Csaba