Tor Project accepted to Google Summer of Code 2008!

Great news, folks!  Once again, with help from the amazing folks at
the EFF, the Tor Project has been accepted as a mentoring organization
in Google's Summer of Code[1].  This program funds students to work on
open source and free software projects over the summer, and provides
organizations like ours with a chance to work with great and
enthusiastic coders from around the world.

Many thanks first to Google for the opportunity, and to EFF for their
continuing help and support.  We'd also like to thanks everyone in the
Tor community who agreed to help mentor students with us this summer,
especially those who contributed to our project ideas list[2].

If you're a student interested in working with the Tor Project under
the Google Summer of Code program this year, please check out Google's
FAQ[3] for the program, and the Tor Project's GSoC 2008[4] page for
more information. If you have any questions that aren't answered
there, just stop by our IRC channel and ask. We look forward to seeing
you there!  (If you know students with a knack for software who'd like
a fun summer job, please let them know about this too.  The more
students who apply for Tor, the more we are likely to be assigned.)

The FAQ has more information about how to apply.  Google will start
accepting applications on March 24.  The deadline is March 31 at 5
pacific time.

Also, be sure to check out the other great organizations[1] who will be
mentoring students this year.

{A version of this mail first appeared at blog.torproject.org [5].}

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
[2] https://www.torproject.org/volunteer.html#Projects