Howto limit number of connections?

Hi,

I'm running a tor-relay for a few weeks now and I only have one problem left.
My maxbandwidth is set to 50Kb (the minimum for also doing the DIR-stuff)
but after a few days the number of established connections for the ORport
has grown to about 1500 and my router doesn't like it (comes to a grinding
halt). Resetting the router fixes it. I have other users going thru the same router
and they start complaining.
netstat -n | grep 9001 | wc -l
1496
Is the number of connections the problem (it's a Sitecom router WL-153)?
If yes, how can I decrease the number of connections? I'ts not an exit node.

Thanks in advance,
Hans.