Re: News from my Tor Server raid

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 05:53:25PM +0100, morphium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 0.8K bytes in 19 lines about:
: > To clarify, were you raided because you ran a Tor node or because your
: > IP address showed up in a website logfile (which was collected by the
: > police during their anti-child porn sweep)?
:
: Sorry, where's the difference? :) The IP of my Tor node showed up in a
: servers logfile.

Tor isn't illegal, spreading child porn is.  If they raided you because
you ran Tor, whether or not child porn supposedly went through it or
not, that's a big deal.  It's like being raided because I use full
disk encryption.  There are lots of tor nodes in germany, for example.

From the perspective of the police, they bust a child porn website and then
lookup all of the IPs in the logs and go fetch all of the owners of
these IPs.  They don't know if it's Tor or not.  This is why Tor wants
to continually talk to law enforcement, so that they can understand what
should and should not be found on your computer running Tor.

I appreciate what you go through, and have lots of respect for you for
continuing to fight, despite the police actions.

--
Andrew