Re: All routers are down or won't exit -- choosing a doomed exit at random.

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 01:03:18AM +0100, mister maniac wrote:
> the vidalia bundle (or polipo to be exact) stopped working for me on 2
> computers. a few days ago tor started to build circuits like crazy and
> using up all cpu time. the message log is full of the following
> message:
>
> Notice: All routers are down or won't exit -- choosing a doomed exit at random.
[snip]
> after a lot of trial and error i found out that as long as only tor an
> vidalia are running everything is fine and tor only opens a few
> circuits, but as soon as i start polipo (using the configuration that
> comes with the vidalia bundle) tors message log starts to fill up with
> the above mentioned "notice", and it essentially stops working.

Sounds like you have some application configured to use localhost:8118 as
an http proxy, and that application is trying to launch lots of requests,
many of which are to ports that Tor's default exit policy doesn't allow.

In the past, people with this problem have found that they have a
bittorrent client configured to use Tor that they forgot about.

--Roger