RE: BIND down, weird IPs pop up on tor.log

> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:48:08 +0100
> From: marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: BIND down, weird IPs pop up on tor.log
>
> Hi, something really weird has happened to my tor node.
> I was restarting BIND, wich serves as dns in my LAN, on another machine.
>
> Around the same time I found these two lines in /var/log/tor/tor.log:
>
> Mar 22 10:29:18.806 [notice] Your IP address seems to have changed
> to 182.219.88.104. Updating.
> Mar 22 10:29:18.832 [notice] Your IP address seems to have changed
> to 182.219.55.216. Updating.
>
> I wonder where these IPs came from, and how this could be related to
> BIND being down at the very moment.
>
> $whois says that those are IPs from Down Under, but I'm almost
> exactly at the other side of the world. Moreover, I can't see any
> line later on saying that I went back to my real IP.
>
> Everything seems to be working normally.
>
> Thanks a lot.

I assume you have a fixed IP and an Address line in your torrc?
Would restarting BIND make Tor try to guess its IP? In that case you could have triggered the bug in 0.2.1.23/24 which gave some of us with dynamic IPs severe problems - the IP guessed was random contents of memory changing every few seconds. It's fixed in 0.2.1.25 (an 0.2.2.10 alpha I'm told).
Just a thought - others know the workings better.
GD

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.