Re: [tor-talk] Better MAPADDRESS [was: FB/Yahoo]

>> Wouldn't a more capable MAPADDRESS function help some of you who
>> need to anchor certain services to a specified exit over long
>> term use?

> See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/933

Awesome!!! I will read it in more detail for possible further comment
midweek. Likewise, for your reference, my original detailed proposals
and rationales are here:

domains:
Jun 05/12 2009 or-dev mid:
d2e731a10906121236v1d820a98q6375a4110d67fd9c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jun    16 2009 or-talk mid:
d2e731a10906152223m3063c9aci5ef9b18751e5f953@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aug    24 2009 or-talk mid:
d2e731a10908241344h3b064218n4256c41b042f2a3d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dec    20 2010 or-talk mid:
AANLkTimnKfbpNMp4m8G2-OQnAHG1rMYcAoQ4og9u9UXO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cidr:
Oct    30 2009 or-talk mid:
d2e731a10910292340l108dfffy8372b52dae1b132f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Should I add all this to the ticket?

> If you have anything to add, now is the time!

Yes, per the above posts, add CIDR block mapping as well:
95.0.0.0/17 -> 95.0.0.0/17.<fingerprint>.exit

For MAPADDRESS entry marking purposes, it should allow any IP
address, so long as the address lies within the block boundary:
1.2.3.77/24 -> 1.2.3.77/24.<fingerprint>.exit

I know at least FreeBSD allows you to configure interfaces like
that, with both the address and netmask in one string, so you could
find a code example for the address within boundary thing there I'm
sure.

There are more examples in the above posts, particularly:
host: 45.2.1.7/32
everything: 0.0.0.0/0

Address list notation might be as such:
1.2.3.{1..4,7..9,23,54,99..136}
1.2.{3..5}.{0..10}

I might further suggest extending the MAPADDRESS parser to handle
Type Of Map declarations and defaulting unspecified ones to the old
style for backward compatibility. That way each type can be maintained
separately and new types can be added modularly.  It may be desireable
to replace the underscore with a space or a slash.  Not sure about
that yet. ie:

MAPADDRESS_DOMAIN *.foo.com
MAPADDRESS_CIDR 1.2.3.4/24
MAPADDRESS_LIST 1.2.3.{7..9}
MAPADDRESS_LEGACY a.foo.com
MAPADDRESS a.foo.com

This might be further enhanced as well: getinfo address-mappings/<type>
Types:
all = everything
DOMAIN, CIDR, LIST = as above
LEGACY = old style entries

And of course, removing any entry from the map remains the same:

Stop further dynamic mapping by setting the source=destination,
thus removing the request to generate dynamic maps:
1.0.0.0/24=1.0.0.0/24

Remove a specific dynamic entry by mapping the full exit=exit:
foo.com.<fingerprint>.exit=foo.com.<fingerprint>.exit