Re: [tor-talk] Iran cracks down on web dissident technology

On 22/03/2011, at 1:09 PM, Mike Perry wrote:

You seem to have somewhat independently argued that #4 means that Tor
cannot be trusted against (any) large government(s). This,
unfortunately, may be true for some governments. Extremely well funded
adversaries that are able to observe large portions of the Internet
can probably break aspects of Tor and may be able to deanonymize
users. This is why the core tor program currently has a version number
of 0.2.x and comes with a warning that it is not to be used for
"strong anonymity". (Though I personally don't believe any adversary
can reliably deanonymize *all* tor users, for similar reasons as
detailed here: http://archives.seul.org/or/dev/Sep-2008/msg00016.html
but attacks on anonymity are subtle and cumulative in nature).

I present to you this anonymously authored, non-peer reviewed communication to do with what you will. Should anyone actually cite this work in a published paper, I will ask my brethren to leave their garbage cans unmolested for the rest of their days.

Thanks, I think I am actually going to have to reference that.