Re: [tor-talk] Operating system updates / software installation behind Tor Transparent Proxy

On 02.03.2012 02:39, proper proper wrote:
>> I don't see a difference between regular downloads
>> and operating system
>> updates.  (I am speaking of Debian here, I don't know
>> how other
>> operating system or distributions handle package installation and
>> updates.)  Are regular downloads of 'several hundred of megabytes' not
>> encouraged
>> by the Tor project?
> THAT is my question.

The anonymity weakness is that operating system updates are well-known.
If I know that state of your machine or can influence it (eg. by
blocking certain updates for you), and have sufficient information to do
a traffic correlation, ...

It reduces your anonymity set, at least from a research point of view. I
don't say I oppose your ideas in general, I just wanted you to be aware
of that. But maybe I'm completely wrong here, some of the Tor experts
certainly know better than I do :)

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/