Re: [tor-talk] How to contribute / takeover a sub project?

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM,  <proper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am interested in overtaking the project TorVM. [1] [2] [3] TorVM has been abandoned by it's original authors, no more development and discussions are going on for years.

sure.

> My project, TorBOX [4] offers the already same functionality.

not quite; some differences that drove the original Tor VM effort:
- you rely on closed source virtualization (Tor VM builds modified
Qemu from source)
- you don't support windows robustly (e.g. the /29 discussion,
simplified install/run)

that said, you do have many additional useful features in TorBOX.

> Almost all key features are ready and almost all critical issues have been solved. TorVM has been forked, components exchanged, extended, build process simplified and documented. Users with basic linux knowledge can use the howto and set it up.

there seem to be different audiences here. Tor VM was explicitly
targeted for windows and ease of use (no technical know how required).
it didn't quite get there, but calling TorBOX equivalent is a bit
misleading.

> In the end the download packages could become almost equally easy to use like the Tor Browser Bundle. TorVM would be renamed to TorBOX.

what would be the purpose?

make TorBOX easy to use on windows. then it could provide what the Tor
VM experiment failed to do.

(Do you just prefer the name?)